vrijdag 26 februari 2010

Dance the heat away

On Friday the 26th (the second national holiday in 2 weeks) there was a sports event nearby. Lakka has a football field used for all kinds of sports activities from the local teams’ practice moments every morning to the school sports events that occur quite often.

So this Friday we watched some sports in the heat of the midday that made me drip like a leaking waterfall whilst kids were running around, jumping and wheelbarrow racing. Most girls danced the time away waiting for their turn to jump over a horizontal bar (not sure what you call this sport). Loud, blasting music, that makes it hard even for a stiff European to stand still, accompanied the event. I persevered and managed to remain the fool watching rather than being the fool dancing...and laughed at! The way these young girls (and boys actually) move... I mean, it’s silly to say but it has to be said, it’s just shockingly-shakingly-wobbly-bobbly-amazing!
The most amazing element of the sports day has to be the ‘run-and-balance’ race (my name for it). Both boys and girls run halfway across the football field, pick up a beer bottle in the middle and finish the second half off by balancing the bottle on their head, without touching! A truly African skill and wonderful touch to an otherwise boring competition to watch.

I never went to Tiwai in the end as the meeting in Bo was cancelled. However, I will be going to Liberia for 1 week, leaving tomorrow (sat-27th) morning 6am. Lucky me, as we have no water in the compound for the moment. Thank god for the sea (in which I caught one of our compound dogs excreting too late to retrieve)
I’d love to upload some photos but I’m not able to and don’t think I will be in the near future. So just let your positive imagination set free and you’ll probably have a wonderful picture of life in and around Lakka ... and start building up patience for my slide show
J

1 opmerking:

  1. Wow, 'Dance the heat away' is such a fantastic title. I can imagine by those shakes they really drop their sweats away from every corner of their bodies :) The beamer is ready. I just connected the cable too. Ready to turn the laptop on... Looking forward ot the slide show! B8S

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen